Strictly Baby Fight Club

April 24, 2008 by
Filed under News

Strictly Baby Fight ClubThis Channel 4 documentary from Cutting Edge has already inspired controversy in the UK, with many expressing disgust at what has been reported in the papers. Tonight we get the chance to see the documentary in full, and many of the people involved are adamant that they have been unfairly portrayed by the media.

Thai boxing has become increasingly popular in the UK. Now many people are concerned that the art is being taught to children as young as four. As well as being coached in the martial art they are taking part in pre-arranged fight tournaments (all legal with referees and doctors) in which they are encouraged to kick and wrestle their opponents to the floor.

Strictly Baby Fight Club tells the story of four families, each with a child destined for future success in the ring. Camera crews have been following them over a period of time to provide an insight into the lives of the children who take part in this controversial sport. The show also highlights the demise of youth football and other more tradititonal sports due to local councils selling pitches to land developers.

The parents of these juvenile fighters believe that the strict martial arts regime has given their children self-respect and discipline which is missing in so many young people today.

Strictly Baby Fight Club is an intriguing portrait of a sport which is growing steadily in popularity. Whether the show will change the opinions of the sport’s detractors remains to be seen.

StumbleUpon It!

Comments

1. David Pratt says:

This is been promoted as a sport I’m told that the full footage of is shows a very different picture than the documentary. Its on youtube and the http://strictlybabyfightclub.com/
    at the end of the day I guess we will all make up our minds on what we think. Maybe the documentary is a bit one sided.

2. David Pratt says:

OK

3. Chris says:

I have a he is 9, only last week he asked if he could join a kick boxing club. I was planning to take a look at the setup. As a child I was a member of a local boxing club… after seeing C4 strictly baby fight club programme i felt there was no way I would let him join, but after seeing the full footage, on the strictly baby fight club website, of one of the fights I not sure. Like I said I was doing boxing from the age of 9 and I can say I had no problems with bullies and think it did me a lot of good. The full footage does show a the full fight and not just the bits that C4 want you to see.

4. RONNIECHICK says:

I am sitting watching this as I type,I am 5 minutes in and all I can say is “abuse”,that silly vapid bulldog of a man that trains his twins ought to be done for child abuse.Dont get me wrong Im not one of these people who is up in arms about the silliest of things but this to me is shocking,the very fact that his”Princess”is crying and has to be coxed into a ring to fight is disguisting to me.Im all for Children being taught self defence but to go in and spar is barbaric and cruel and done only to satisfy this moron and his gocky eyed partners zest for voilence.”Ive asked her if she wants to do ballet instead”,he tries to justify,well that isnt going to work as we all know kids will try thier upmost to do what pleases thier folks most” I spend more time with them doing this than the average person”well id rather see my folks less than see that ugly ned every day grunting and drumming this madness into his kids.To watch this snooker ball with chavvy cheap gold dangling from his four chins shouting”come on Princess hit her,lose it lose it” whilst slabbering all over the place like a demented Cojo reject really is sickening and they do not deserve children.If his child really was a “princess”he would want to protect her from all the crap grown ups have to deal with,fighting,aggression,competing and let her and her Brother be Children and live in a protcted bubble for as long as possible,which is something I had and im pleased to say my memorys of child-hood are not filled with getting kicked in the kidneys and having a baying mob shout for more or the same voilence.As I say,doing it to protect against bullys is something else as long as thats all it is used for(I was never bullied not because I was an amazing fighter but because I was taught to use my mind and mouth of which was ample !)but to do this for what looks like two chav’s pleasure because they clearly have no life and like prostituting thier children for thier own sick needs is moronic and to justify it,makes anyone as bad as they are.

5. RONNIECHICK says:

Ahh me again lol!! Have to get this off my chest,ive now watched some woman who speaks like she is Ali G(innit)say”they dont make good groin gaurds for a 9 year old”DUH I wonder why ya dizzy bint!!
    And lmao I didnt think such idiots actually managed to breath and speak at same time but the guy who takes his boy to Thailand cause there are no gaurds allowed and they can elbow and kick heads,is nothing short of a sicko,I watched his wee boys head get kicked,anyone who can watch that and not have the immidiate reaction to want to jump up and save thier child is an abuser,and he keeps talking about “his dream,his Mums dream and I dont know what my sons dream is” says it all,they do it for them not thier children.Bloody hell now the bulldogs “beefing his wee girl up to be heavier”,and heres me thinking gavaging was something of the past.Note not one classy Parent in sight,every one more chavvy than the other(innit,pop a cap in yer ass style).Ahh Jeremy Kyle must be rubbing his hands in glee,here lies his future guests telling all how crap thier life was because of these so called gauradians(to protect and care for,so by definition alone they have failed)-I daresay some idiot will disagree with what ive said and defend these scumbags but if you can tell me a good reason why youd have your child,the most prescious being in your life,in a ring where paramedics had to be,then im afraid there is no hope for you either,and quite frankly no-one with that opinion merits Children.

6. Cat Shubrook says:

As an instructor at a Martial Arts Club than runs kickboxing classes for kids and being married to a profesional cage fighter, I have to say we were both appalled at last night programme. Please do not let this put you off taking your child to classes as there are massive benefits to your child leaning a martial art such as improved confident, discipline and concentration as well as getting them involved in an active sport rather than sitting at home watch TV or playing on a gmes console.

The fault here I’m afraid lies entirely with the parents. I think the comments about Connors mum are above are unfair as she is supporting her child in a safe Thai boxing envirnoemnt as under most comeptiton rules it is fairly difficult for a child to be actually hurt. They wear heavily padded equimemt which means they tend to bounce off each other more than anything.

I am however utterly disgusted by Thai parents who see fit to take their child to Thailand to compete in adult style Thai boxing not allowed in the UK with good reason as knees, elbows and kicks to the head without any protection in barbaric in such young children. Thai seemed in interviews away from the direct control of his parents to want to go out and play like other children and participate in the semi contact competitons where he was less likely to get hurt. This is clearly a case of the father especialy trying to gain the belt he never acheived through his son. It does border on abuse and I do not use that word lightly.

Only Connors mum seemed to give the impression to her son he had to want to win but it was ok if he didn’t or he wanted to give up the sport. Connor seemed bright, well adjusted and hopefully he will have a good career ahead of him in controlled safe fighting environments until he has reached physical and emotioanl maturity to join the seniors in the cage or ring.

The other parents are all putting tremendous pressure on such very young children they should all be totally ashamed of themselves!!!

7. RONNIECHICK says:

re the above about Connors Mum,she concerned me near the end when she was reading the disclaimer” You cannot hold the orginizers responsible in the event of death etc etc” she then looked at the camera sort of shrugged,to be honest if I thought my Child was at risk of death for anything other than an essential operation/treatment I would be horrified,and I sign my Dog away for an op at the vets with more thought and care and am worried sick until he is safe with me again but know is for the greater good,not for some ego trip.I just cannot comprehend in any way how one can sit there watching thier child being jeered by a crowd to “hit him,kick him,”and do so with fists clenched clearly enjoying it,my instinct would be to run in and protect my baby,but sadly for every good parent there are plenty of chavvy,inbred ones like these.

8. Rule says:

Having kids take part in martial arts classes in one thing but forcing your child to train is another. Thai’s father will push his own son to hate him when he grows up. It was clear to see the lad didn’t want to be pushed as hard as he was pushed by his father. You could just tell his father would not accept another career path for the little boy. The Asian kids father also put a lot of unnecessary pressure on the lad but it was good to see he was with his son win or loose. Connor’s mum was the more civilised of all of them. You could tell the boy was fighting because he enjoyed it. It’s a shame though that little Thai’s dad is trying to live his own dreams through his son. Unfortunately when it back fires it will blow up in his face big time. Just Roy Jones senior a Floyd Mayweather senior.

9. COOLDUDE says:

Miah seemed happy the 3rd time getting in the ring and with her reward

feel sorry her saturdays are spent in boxing shorts n gloves in a ring n laying down having her kit put on

MIAH HAD LOVELY SHORTS though

its a bit of fun really getting into the ring and having bit of fun

10. COOLDUDE says:

Miah seemed happy the 3rd time getting in the ring and with her reward

MIAH HAD LOVELY SHORTS though expensive ones crap insteps

its a bit of fun really getting into the ring and having bit of fun 3rd time she liked it 1st n 2nd hated it

if she hadnt done it but kian had she would have prob been jealous

11. cooldude says:

SHE HAD BAREFEET AS KIDS DO PE IN BAREFEET SO IN STEAD of messing round with uncomfortable foot pads its easier putting her kit on and just taking her socks off n putting her in ring.
    no injuries etc i noticed

scared of being in a cage locked in with the aim to knock em out

12. LIZZIE B says:

IM CONNORS NAN.RONNIE CHICK HAS THE SENSE TO SEE THROUGH MY DAUGHTER,ITS THE DIETS THEY PUT THESE KIDS ON AS WELL AS THE ABUSE THEY HAVE TO PUT UP WITH.THEYVE NO TIME TO BE KIDS IVE SEEN MY GRANDSON CRYING AT 6/7 WHEN HE SAID HE DIDNT WANNA GO IVE HAD HIM WALK RD MY HSE SAYING HE WANTED TO DIE,COS THE MOUTH WAS SCREAMING ABUSE AT HIM.N THE DIETS WERE THE LAST STRAW NEVER MIND THE DANGER HE WAS IN EVERYTIME HE GETS IN THE RING,I WENT ROM MP’S TO COURTS FROM ROMFORD,MANCHESTER,LIVERPOOL 2GET THIS STOPPED,NOW IM NOT ALLOWED 2C ANY OF MY DAUGHTERS KIDS,THEY TRIED THEY HAD THE DEPRIEVED CHILDHOOD BUISNESS BOTH MY DAUGHTERS EVEN TRIED RECRUITING MY SON,BUT J KYLE AND TRISHA GOT IN TOUCH WITH ME,I SAID YES ID GO ON THE SHOWS,IF THEY GAVE THEM LIE DECTORS AND ASKED ABOUT THE DIETS,THEY DECLINED WHAT A SURPRISE..

13. LIZZIE B says:

ITS WHATS BEHIND IT ALL IS MONEY,BIG MONEY MADE FROM ALL THIS MALARKY,BUT NIKKI WELL PISSED OFF WITH ME,BECAUSE NOW SHE HAS TO COMPLY WITH RULES N REGULATIONS AND IT S WORTH IT COS MY CONNOR HAS PUT ON WEIGHT N FILLED OUT NICELY…THATS ONE FOR NANNY

14. LIZZIE B says:

DUNNO IF THAT CAT SHUBROOKES ON ABOUT WAS SHE WATCHING THE SAME PROGRAM,NIKKI SIGNED AWAY THE DANGER WITH A SHRUG LIKE SHE WAS SIGNING UP FOR A NEW CREDIT CARD,WHEN SHE PROFORMED AT THE BIRMINGHAM WHILST COLOURING IN THE HEAD GUARD,CONNOR SAYS HE DONT FEEL LIKE FIGHTING,SHE SAYS WELL WE AGREED SO U GONNA DO IT,THE REAL NIKKI SHINES THREW THE ONLY PARENTS THAT SHOWED ANY COMPASSION FOR THEIR CHILD WERE THE IDIAN FAMILY,AND THE ONLY PARENT THAT WENT TO WORK BY THE LOOKS OF IT CAT IF U A MATE OF NIKKIS U DONT KNOW HER VERY WELL LOL

15. lizzie b says:

RONNIE CHICK ROCKS,SHE CAN SEE WHATS WHAT,CAT SHOOBROOK ,R U NOW TRAINING NIKKI’S KIDS ????? is she now putting my beautiful grand daughters what she put connor through.with the special diets (more like starvation diets,well im glad she was made to stop that through the courts,because connor has now put on loads of wieght n looks much more healthy.the public dont know half of it.not only r the kids verbally bullied into this sport by the parent,its always the dominant parent ,the other is normally docile n placid n will comply with the dominant one, no matter what. it is not NORMAL FOR KIDS TO BE TAUGHT THIS CRUELTY, ANY NORMAL PARENT WOULD BE DOING THER UTMOST TO STOP THIER KIDS FIGHTING,ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY AND ILLEAGEL GAMBLING,N IT SHOULD BE BANNED, IM NOW NOT ALLOWED TO SEE ANY OF MY GRANDCHILDREN FROM MY TWO DAUGHTERS,THATS BECAUSE I SPOKE OUT,I WENT TO MP’S AND COURTS IN MANCHESTER ,LIVERPOOL TO GET THIS STOPPED,MY DAUGHTERS GANGED UP ON ME ACCUSSING ME OF THEM HAVING A DEPRIEVED CHILDHOOD,WHAT A LAUGH NO WONDER THEY WOULDNT GO ON TRISHA OR JEREMY KYLE WHEN WE WERE INVITED,I DID SAY YES N ID BE HAPPY TO ATTEND AS LONG AS THEY GAVE NIKKI A LIE DETECTOR ASKING ABOUT THE DIETS,SHE REFUSED N STRATED GOING ON ABOUT A BAD CHILDHOOD LOL,THEY HAD TO MOVE HUNDREDS OF MILES AWAY TO START THOSE STORIES UP TRYING TO RECRUIT MY SON 4 A LITTLE WHILE,HES BACK ON PLANET EARTH NOW, AND I GET TO C MY GRANDSON REGULARY,IF NOT THIERS A FEW SINGLE MUMS THAT HAVE 3/4 KIDS SO I GO BORROW THEIR KIDS WEEKENDS N HOLIDAYS STOPS ME BROODING TOO MUCH N THE MUMS ARE VERY THANKFUL,ONE DAY THERE MAYBE A KNOCK AT THE DOOR N IT COULD BE ONE OF MY GRANKIDS,LIVE IN HOPOE I SEE THEM AGAIN,,ONE DAY,FUNNY HOW NO OTHER GRANDPARENT SHARED THEIR SIDE,OR WERE THEY ATOMATICALLY DISSMISSED FROM THER GRANDKIDS TOO…

16. Andy says:

The show was a disgrace. I would imagine that Connors mum has controlled him from what I have seen and heard.

Anyone who can take their son to different gyms and swap trainers is obviously hiding something, or trying to avoid being found out.

There is corruption and lies in UK Muay Thai, and a policy of buying title opportunities exists. Both the producers and the likes of the parents are responsible for holding Muay thai down. Sad sad people that need a rocket stuffed up their arses and be found guilty of child abuse!