Mendes To Start Bond 23 Next Year?

December 3, 2010 by  
Filed under - Home, News

mendes300Oh how we cursed our misfortune when MGM got itself into financial strife, scuppering new plans for a couple of massive movie franchises. The Hobbit has been juddering into pre-production for a couple of months now, but we had heard nothing of Britain’s most famous spy. Until now!

We always knew that 007 would return, but that doesn’t make today’s rumours that Sam Mendes will be arriving in blighty next year to start shooting Bond 23 any less exciting. This news doesn’t just come from any old ‘source’, ‘insider’ or ‘person we heard muttering on the bus’, but Lady Kate Winselt herself.

The well-spoken award magnet couldn’t offer much in the way of concrete detail, but she did suggest that Daniel Craig could be back in action much sooner than many of us dared to hope.

“Sam is doing the next Bond film, all being well, and we’ll all be in England if that happens. It’s such a massive commitment for him and it’s not fair for him to commute backwards and forwards to New York from London. It would be impossible. The children will be there with me,” Winslet told The Daily Mail. The couple seperated last year but seem to have stayed good friends, an achievement of some magnitude.

But Winslet is not the only person talking up the next Bond movie. Composer David G Arnold recently told MixMag that a new project was looking like a good possibility and director and franchise overseer Barbara Broccoli has been taking meetings about casting, with the producer twice attending the play Deathtrap, which features stage and screen stalwart Simon Russell Beale as its leading man. Mendes and Beale are regular collaborators, and Beale has previously mentioned his desire to play a villain in a Bond movie. Exciting stuff.

The pencilled release date of Bond 23 (November 2012) is looking ever more likely.

StumbleUpon It!